Monday, June 25, 2007

Yahoo Messenger: STAY AWAY!

can't really tell what happens. As you might know Yahoo Messenger comes through a web install, automatically updated each time you need it. First thing you'll notice is that even though you're not prompted to allow the installation of the Yahoo toolbar in Internet Explorer, as well as in Firefox (as .xpi extension), both get installed.
Problems appear when you think, hey, I'd like to remove a couple of these unwanted components like the toolbars, some kind of browser manager, and a so called Yahoo Install Manager. You get the message that a dll was removed from the system (didn't take a screenshot unfortunately). So far so good, just reboot, open your ad/remove program panel and see how wonderful, most entries disappeared, and the ones left in peace have their remove buttons, well... removed. Hundreds of registry entries have been deleted. That's happened to me twice. the first time I thought another program could have been responsible, one I messed up with just after I uninstalled the yahoo components. No way, the second time it was only the removal of Yahoo components that was involved. Which means that twice in a week, I've had to reinstall Windows XP Sp2 completely. Hours spent and lost because of Yahoo. No work around, nothing on their web pages. I reported the bug and the only answer I got was a redirection to help pages containing nothing. Otherwise feel free to check those links from other users complaining about the same issue:

Yahoo answers 1
Yahoo answers 2
TechSupport forum

don't know what these guys from yahoo deserve for that, but I'm extremely upset!

No comments: