Friday, June 8, 2007

Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0 alpha is out! (june 7)

first the link: here.
Note this is only XP compatible for now. A version for both XP and Vista comes soon, maybe as soon as today.
and here is just a copy of my first comments in the Comodo Forum:

"in answer to people in the 3.0 release date topic, and to the dev team, here and now:

HEY HEY PEOPLE WAKE UP! there is and there will be much more to say about 3.0 than "I'm a bit disappointed" or "what? not yet for Vista". I belong to those who were also expecting a finally Vista compatible version. But I dual-boot with XP and I can wait, I can really wait, and in the meantime I'm quite happy to have the opportunity to test this fantastic piece of software under Windows XP.
Yes, I used the word fantastic. I've been waiting for 3.0 for a while now and I never thought that it would be so advanced. IT IS INCREDIBLY ADVANCED!
First I want to mention the UI. THE UI DOES MATTER!!! And in the case of 3.0 it is absolutely beautiful, very Vista oriented, very elegant, great job guys! No doubt the next alpha or beta version working with Vista will be here soon. Doesn't matter if it's tomorrow or in 2 weeks, the software is there, and it goes far beyond anything people like me and others who were testing 2.4 a couple of months ago could ever expect. I remember Melih saying "You'll see, you'll be amazed" or something equivalent. Well I am absolutely amazed. The interface is new in every way. The firewall section, if still using a couple of features from previous versions, good ones, brings this program to a totally new dimension. Not to mention the HIPS section, but guys, I've only been using the software for half an hour and I cannot yet go into details. But don't worry I will.

sincerely, thanks to everyone in the dev team,
best regards.

ps. here we go: right-clicking the tray icon makes the minimized tab appear in the taskbar, minor bug.
hope the tray icon animation will be back soon...
will post later when I've seen more, have already allowed Firefox to use my keyboard! (lol)"



OK this software might have major bugs at the moment, but it's got an incredible potential. And Melih was honest enough to warn us in his post, in his explanations about the "alpha" considerations. Once again what I've seen shows an incredible amount of work that has already been done to produce this first release. I've used Comodo Firewall for a while now and it's harder than ever to understand how such a program can be free. My rating, and I'm not kidding, would be about 1000 USD if that new version of CFP was not, free. CFP 3.0 is like bringing both Coreforce Firewall and System Safety Monitor to a human dimension. The dev team from Comodo couldn't do a better job.

No comments: